Thursday, March 11, 2010

Resolve to STUDY the word

I found a nugget today. An example for us to look to and follow in an often missed place - Ezra 7:10: "For Ezra had set his heart to study the law of the LORD and to practice it, and to teach His statutes and ordinances to Israel."

We all know that we should read the Bible.  But how many of us deliberately take time to really study and apply it? 

Most of us know why as well - to find guidance, to help fight sin, to grow, to learn more about God and how He desires us to live.  But how is this motivating us to do so consistently, with excitement, in cooperation with the Holy Spirit?

And for myself, I've found that I have been in school for many years, 20 years spent learning and studying...but how much of my life can I say have I spent really "studying" the Word?  Admittedly, ashamedly, not much at all.


Perhaps it was ignorance, or not feeling like I knew how.  

But the truth is, we don't need to be seminarians, because we do have the tools before us...and as I've sat under the teaching at Grace Community Church and have been reminded by the recent movie (The Book of Eli), I have realized the privilege and honor it is to have a Bible, to cultivate a HIGH view of Scripture and to desire to study it.

2 Timothy 2:15 - "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth."


Here's another way I see it - we spend time shopping for good deals, finally find something worth purchasing, and then when it rings up, it sometimes ends up being a better deal than we initially realized - and there's a sense of satisfaction AND pleasure.  

Studying the Word for me has ALWAYS yielded benefit and pleasant surprises, great treasure/joy, and is similar in the sense that as I read and set my heart upon studying the Word:

I find power to battle sin and the flesh...
and I find joy in my trials and circumstances...
and I find myself falling deeper in love with my Lord, amazed again by His grace to me.


So, let's resolve to STUDY the Word, so that we can then LIVE it out, and then TEACH it to others, like Ezra...for His glory!


Grace and peace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment