Thursday, November 19, 2009

Love and Good Works

"For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.  But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.  The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works.  These things are excellent and profitable for people." – Titus 3:1-9


This passage says so much about HOW we are commanded are to love others, to be ready to do good works: 
1) remember who we used to be

2) to humble ourselves
3) to be reminded of God's saving grace, quick forgiveness and His rich mercy towards me
4) and then to be motivated to turn and desire to love, forgive, and give grace to all, including those who have wronged me


I wrote this prayer which helps me set my focus on Jesus and obedience to my Lord, to die to self and live for Christ:
-O, wretched sinner, wayward child that I am, consider the wondrous work of your Savior Jesus on the cross and bow down, revere His grace and mercy, His majesty!
-Bask in the riches as an adopted heir of the King of Kings and ask not what God can do for me but how I can serve Him and others best, all for His glory!
-Christ is gain, to live and carry this cross, my cross, is my privilege and true joy. Take pleasure in being fully satisfied in a faithful, loving, kind, good God!


May this encourage you, dear brothers and sisters, to think of new and creative ways to be a blessing to others, to "consider how to stir up one another to love and good works" - Heb. 10:24.   


Grace and peace to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment