Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sacrifice and surrender

Coming back from a retreat weekend can be an adjustment, as you ease (well, maybe not exactly the right word for some of you) back into work/school life and succumb to the grind and daily pressures/distractions/temptations of the "world".

But I'm very thankful for this brief time away for "meaty" spiritual growth and wonderful fellowship, as I'm reminded of some important life lessons:

1) That Jesus' suffering on the cross was BY CHOICE, an awesome outpouring of love and amazing grace for me:

"For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I received from my Father." - John 10:17-18

And I don't know about you, but that makes me love Him so much more, that He could have said "I quit, you're not worth it" but He DIDN'T.

2) That we are commanded to love each other as He loved us:

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another." - John 15:16-17

And this love isn't natural and doesn't come easy; this love includes loving those who have hurt you, let you down, who have betrayed you, who are your enemies.

3) That our lives ought to be characterized and defined by surrender...DAILY:

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." - Rom. 12:1-2

Jesus paid the price, took on God's wrath for my sins, for which I could not do myself, and my reasonable service is to live my life for God's glory.

Let's work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), for the God we serve deserves our praise, honor, and obedience.

Grace and peace to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment