Thursday, October 29, 2009

Of stones and logs

I was struck deeply this morning by the words of Andrew Murray in his book "Humility":

(pg. 55) - "The humble man looks upon every child of God, the most weak and unworthy, and honors him and prefers him as a son of the King."

Guilty, I thought to myself.

(pg. 56) - "Amid temptations to impatience and irritableness, to hard thoughts and sharp words that come in response to the failings and sins of fellow-Christians, the humble person carries the oft-repeated injunction in his heart and shows it in his life: "Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, even as the Lord forgave you."

Man, that's so true of me again.

"In striving after the higher experiences of the Christian life, the believer is often in danger of seeking more visible virtues...rather than the gentler graces, those which are more distinctly connected with Jesus' cross and death to self: poverty of spirit, meekness, humility, lowliness."

Yes, Christlikeness should be one of service, compassion, long-suffering...areas I so dearly lack.

And I was once again reminded of the woman caught in adultery in John 7:53-8:11 (although the earliest manuscripts do not include it). It is insightful as I am naturally and already gathering stones, ready to cast, quick to condemn, slow to evaluate and check my own heart, and even slower to adopt Jesus' attitude and response, love for her, and to learn from my Master's example.

God, I'm so guilty. Please help me with my pride. Help me to love those you love, that genuine humility must "abide" in us, as we abide in Christ and die to self.

I myself have been forgiven so much.

Andrew Murray says it well: "Let us look upon everyone who tries us as God's means of grace, God's instrument for our purification, for our exercise of the humility of Jesus."

Phil. 2:3-5 - "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus"

1 John 4:7, 21 - "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother."

Luke 6:41-42 - "Why do you see the SPECK that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the LOG that is in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye, when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will SEE CLEARLY to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye."

Lord, help us to be patient, to overlook offenses, to be gentle, sweet and kind, willing to associate with people of lowly position (Rom. 12:16). Help us to be humble.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment