Friday, March 27, 2009

So long self

Let's start with this:

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." - Gal. 2:20 (ESV)

"Do nothing out of selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others." - Phil. 2:3-4 (NASB)

"[love] does not seek its own" - 1 Cor. 13:5

I played on the basketball team in high school....those were the good 'ol days! Anyway, for the home games, there was a "program" with our roster info and we were interviewed one year about what we thought was the world's greatest problem. I think most people said hunger, materialism, racism or war or something like that.

Can you guess what my answer was? Selfishness. Pretty profound for a teenage athlete don't you think? :)

But isn't that so true? When we look at the heart of most of our anger and irritations in life, where we feel like our "rights" have been violated, it stems from pride, and focusing on ME.

I will be honest...that's one thing I'm good at - I want to hurt people when they hurt me. I want to say and do mean things to them. I want them to pay for what they did. I seek this revenge and punishment because
I've been wronged. It is really easy to get caught into this trap.

But then I
have to catch myself - someone who professes to be a Christian, a follower and slave of Christ. I must stop and think hard about the type of reaction and witness I'm supposed to give. I'm to CHOOSE to do what is right, to obey what God says. And it is HARD.

So I take a few deep breaths, step back, and think deeply about why I feel hurt, and why I'm angry, and ask myself, is it because I'm so focused on ME? And most of the time, the answer is yes.

And after some prayer and conviction by the Holy Spirit, asking God to humble me, I realize that I'm in no place to demand anything, that any sins against me pale in comparison to my sins against God. That Christ came as a servant, lowly, gentle and humble, that I am to forbear and forgive and love even when it feels impossible. That I am to die to self and live for Christ.

I haven't had the opportunity to be a wife or mother yet, but I expect, from what I hear and understand that there's no place for "selfishness" there.

God has been growing me, teaching me, in this season of my life, to work on me, to be content IN CHRIST alone, to learn how to love and serve and die to self as I relate to those around me...so that IF it pleases Him and would bring Him greater glory, I could one day be granted those opportunities. And I do trust God with this (Ps. 37:4).

Dear friends, may we continue to fight those selfish desires (because that is our fallen nature, the default) and learn how to deny ourselves so we can do what does not come naturally - to truly love God and others.

I leave you with this:
"If you must cry, sorrow over sin, the lost, hurts of others FIRST."
"If you must boast, celebrate Christ's redeeming work, God's blessings, others' joys FIRST."
"If you must, look not to your own needs, but ask God for self-control and the grace to love others FIRST."

Grace and peace to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment