Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Built for relationship

Dear friends,

As many of you know, I've been meaning to start a blog for a while now instead of filling your inboxes with my periodic mass emails. Here's my first blog entry. May it "give grace to those who hear" (Eph. 4:29).

So I'll begin with this topic, because we all deeply want to belong, feel connected, share, express and bond with others. Isn't it so true that one of our most basic needs in life is relationship? Most, if not all, of our deepest and richest memories and experiences, problems, hurts and joys come from relationships.

Makes sense. God built us that way. We're emotional, relational beings.

At the same time, there good and bad ways to relate. There are healthy and unhealthy ways to build relationships. And I've learned how important it is to understand and maintain proper boundaries, to follow carefully after Scripture (the Creator's manual) for our lives - "to keep the good in, and the bad out" and "feed the Spirit, starve the flesh" (see Rom. 8:5-8, 12-14).

Also, in order to thrive and grow well in our walks with God and each other, we all need support systems; we all need community.

Proverbs 13:20 - "He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm."

Hebrews 12:24 - "And let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds"

Proverbs 27:5,6 - "Better is open rebuke than love that is concealed. Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but deceitful are the kisses of an enemy."

Proverbs 27:17 - "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Galatians 6:2 - "Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ."

Galatians 6:10 - "So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith."

Ephesians 4:2 - "with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

John 13:34, 35 - "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."


I'll not go much longer today as I'm nursing a bit of a cold. I just want to encourage you to reflect on the positive and negative influences in your life, how you're allowing others to shape who you are...and whether or not you've given proper attention to the MOST important relationship you have - that with God himself.

Have you kept your appointments to meet with Him? Do you have your priorities straight? Have you let something or someone become your idol? Is there unconfessed sin that is preventing you from drawing near to your heavenly Father? Will you yield control of your life to God and let His way be your way?

Life throws us all sorts of curve balls. There's no question we're going to go through peaks and valleys. But I know is this much to be true:
1) God is good. He's always in control. And there's nothing I can't trust Him with.
2) We're not to go at it alone. We can practice discernment and seek wise counsel.
3) I'm to be responsible for me - my thoughts, my responses, my decisions. I'm to surrender daily to the Lordship of Christ in my life, to allow God to change me into someone that better reflects Christ (Rom. 8:29).

Grace and peace to you.


2 comments: